Finding relief is quite the task, especially when a person has more than one condition that causes pain or uncomfortable symptoms. I possess multiple chronic diseases, and some of them conflict with one another regarding care. For example, my Interstitial Cystitis (IC) and my Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) have semi conflicting diets.
The first thing I do it try to prevent flares from happening by eating right, stretching, and taking my medications as directed. Prevention helps the need for relief, but this doesn’t always work. I am mindful of my pain and overall health, sometimes it can be all consuming, but I do my best not to let it take over, which is why I feel preventative pain and health care are essential.
This is a list of things that I do to help with pain and discomfort:
- Cat cuddles – warm kitty purrs and cuddles improve my mind and body
- Human cuddles – are comforting and affirming, many chronically ill people have tumultuous relationships
- Tens unit – helps with fibro and muscle spasms
- Heating pad, throw – helps with IC, muscle spasms, and cold intolerance
- Stretching and moving – helps with tension and muscle aches
- Prelief and Azo – Prelief helps take acidity out of food which can prevent IC flares, Azo is a dye that acts as an analgesic for the bladder
- OTC pain medication – Tylenol and Alieve help with some of the pain I feel
- THC/CBD – I live in a state that allows both recreational marijuana and medical, I’m grateful as it has helped me be able to sleep and alleviate some of the pain
- Antinausea – OTC meds help when I’m having nausea
- Hobbies – a distraction from pain and discomfort after health has been addressed
Image found on Plexels.